Mission and Strategic Plan
AAFP's vision is to transform health care to achieve optimal health for everyone.
The mission of the AAFP is to improve the health of patients, families, and
communities by serving the needs of members with professionalism and creativity.
Member Value Statement
The American Academy of Family Physicians and its chapters proudly represent more than 129,000 family physician, resident, and medical student members. Family physicians play a critical role in improving the health of patients, families, and communities across the United States.
The AAFP is committed to helping family physicians improve the health of Americans by advancing the specialty of family medicine, saving members time, and maximizing the value of membership. Our focus every day is to help family physicians spend more time doing what they do best: providing quality and cost-effective patient care. The AAFP delivers value to its members through each of its strategic priorities.
OBJECTIVE 1: ADVOCACY - Shape health care policy through interactions with government, the public, business, and the health care industry.
- Advance the patient-centered medical home.
- Increase payment to family physicians.
- Advance health care for all.
- Increase family physician workforce.
OBJECTIVE 2: PRACTICE ENHANCEMENT - Enhance members’ abilities to fulfill their practice and career goals.
- Assist members to become designated patient-centered medical homes.
- Promote the ongoing imperative for practice redesign through education and communication.
- Assist our members to achieve financial success through optimal practice management.
OBJECTIVE 3: EDUCATION - Promote high-quality, innovative education for physicians, residents, and medical students that encompasses the art, science, evidence, and socioeconomics of family medicine.
- Increase the number of members and non-members who utilize AAFP Continuing Medical Education in pursuit of life-long learning.
- Increase funding streams for undergraduate, graduate, and continuing medical education.
- Develop mechanisms that will increase Part III Maintenance of Certification pass rate of family medicine residency graduates.
OBJECTIVE 4: HEALTH OF THE PUBLIC - Assume a leadership role in health promotion, disease prevention, and chronic disease management.
- Involve family physicians in targeted public health activities, specifically tobacco, obesity, exercise, and immunizations.
- Increase member and patient awareness of resources on www.familydoctor.org.
The AAFP and its members are committed to care that is:
- equitable for all people;
- centered on the whole person within the context of family and community;
- based on science, technology and best available evidence;
- supported by lifelong professional learning; and
- grounded in respect and compassion for the individual.