The AAFP provides a comprehensive benefit package, designed to meet the needs of a diverse workforce. From a 37.5 hour workweek to the company closure over the holidays, our benefit packages offer something for everyone, including full-time and part-time employees (who work at least 18.75 hours per week). Our employees enjoy a wide range of benefits, many of them company-paid or subsidized. For a brief summary of our benefits, please review the list below.
To participate in the benefits listed below, staff must be deemed eligible. For eligibility requirements and other plan rules and details about each plan, please refer to the summary plan description for each benefit. The following summary does not provide a guarantee of any benefits.
Several benefits are designed to protect and maintain employee's health and income:
- Health Insurance — Our comprehensive health plan is offered to staff and their family members. AAFP pays a large portion of the cost for staff and their families.
- Dental Insurance — Our dental program offers single and family insurance coverage. AAFP pays a large portion of the cost for staff and their families.
- Vision Insurance — Our vision program offers single and family insurance coverage.
- Life Insurance — AAFP pays for life insurance coverage that is twice the employee's annual pay. Employees may elect to purchase additional insurance for themselves, their spouse, or children and pay the premiums through payroll deduction.
- Short-term disability — The Academy provides short-term disability coverage for staff.
- Long-term disability insurance — The Academy provides long-term disability for staff.
- Tuition Reimbursement — The AAFP tuition reimbursement program reimburses staff for expenses related to tuition at an accredited university for both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Workers' compensation insurance — This insurance is provided to protect employees against job-related injuries.
AAFP offers health, dental, vision and life insurance benefits for domestic partners. Domestic partners may also be named as beneficiaries on Academy life insurance and retirement plans.
Financial & Retirement Benefits
Helping employees prepare for the future is important to AAFP and we're pleased to offer benefits that help employees achieve financial security:
- 401(k) Plan — Staff may choose to make their own pre-tax contributions to the 401(k) plan. Additionally, the AAFP may make discretionary contributions once staff become eligible.
Time Off Benefits
- Staff accrue sick and vacation leave each pay period (twice per month). There is no waiting period to be eligible to use accrued leave benefits.
- The AAFP offers employees several paid holidays each year, including:
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day (July 4)
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day and the day after
- Christmas Day
- Working days between Christmas and New Year's Day
- New Year's Day
Flexible Work Schedules
From a 37.5 hour workweek to a variety of flexible work schedules, the AAFP provides excellent work-life balance for staff:
- Flexible work schedules — The AAFP's core hours are 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. With supervisory approval, employees can choose a schedule that allows them to begin work anytime between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. Lunchtime is flexible and may be one-half, three-quarters, or one hour in length.
- Compressed work schedules — Some employees work 37.5 hours in fewer than five days. Employees propose these work schedules to their supervisor for approval.
- Telecommuting — Several employees telecommute one or more days per week and a few staff are full-time telecommuters. Telecommuting is generally a benefit for employees who are fully trained in all aspects of their position and have demonstrated their ability to work independently. Employees may request a telecommuting work arrangement through their supervisor.
Work Environment Benefits
The AAFP recognizes the challenge of successfully managing a job and family or other outside interests. Our benefit plans have been designed to assist staff with this. Some of these benefits are described above. Others include:
- Employee Assistance Program — The EAP offers free, confidential counseling for employees and family members. Additionally, the EAP offers the following complimentary services; elder care and child care referral, legal counseling, and financial counseling.
- Fitness Center — We offer an on-site fitness center for employees at our Leawood headquarters facility.
- Nursing mothers room — The AAFP has a private room for nursing mothers at the Leawood headquarters building. The room is designed for relaxation and includes a breast pump and refrigerator.
- Wellness Program — The AAFP has partnered with our health plan to offer a wellness program for staff. The AAFP Wellness Committee plans ongoing wellness activities for staff.
The above summarizes the Academy’s benefit package. However, the benefit plans are subject to change. The most current information on benefits is available from the Human Resources Division.